Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pifa Spikes and Dragon Tattoos

I've been in site for almost a month straight now and it's not as easy as it sounds let me tell you. Of course nothing is easy when you live in the jungle. Speaking of jungle the government has decided to extend our road to the next community which is about an 40 min hike from here. That's actually part of the reason that it has been so crummy these last couple weeks. Well that and I made a fried hotdog sandwich after not eating meat for two weeks and nearly threw it up shortly after. Back to the road. The noise is ridiculous and the tractors don't seem to be trying to save any of the forest that's for sure. It is just non stop noise and that combined with the recent heat and being sick is really trying my nerves. I also fell and put my entire hand into a Pifa tree which is the tree with all the spikes coming out of it. So I've been pulling barbs out of my hand for the last three days and dousing my hand in alcohol. One of the barbs went so deep I'm pretty sure it was half way through my hand. 

On top of all that I decided to read the book The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo which is a good book but not the best pick me up book that's for sure.

So the good stuff: Well, I've had the chance to go to more meeting here which is always good. I've also been able to give english classes every day and have started helping the artisan women with her power point presentation. In other news, when I decided to give the spine tree a high five a local medicine man put a mixture of medicinal plants and boa constrictor fat on my hand and I swear to god that it smelled felt and looked exactly like Icy Hot. Pretty crazy. I guess now we know what plant it comes from. The road is also a good thing too even though its tearing down some jungle. People up that way will be able to bring their cacao to market easier and the older people that live up that way will have easier access to the road and to the hospital. So not everything is bad. I'm also getting pretty excited to spend the weekend surfing on the island. Or I hope to at least. I know that it is going to be crazy out there this weekend as it the beginning of Carnival.

Other noteworthy stuff: I shaved all my hair off and took a razor to my face for the 4th time in my life. I had to. It is too damn hot down here. I'm looking forward to the Twins plus Sonja to come visit me next month and I'm secretly planning a trip to Jamaica that is not a secret anymore I guess. I think that will happen in May. Until the next time. Peace.  

No comments:

Post a Comment