Sunday, December 12, 2010

First Tourists and Other Notes

I'm going to make this short and sweet...

So apparently tomorrow I'm waking up early to help cook food for a party we are having. Usually the men don't cook the food so I'm hoping there are going to be others there doing the same or I will be forever cast as the week gringo. I told them I'm no good at cooking but that hasn’t deterred them from telling that they could really use my help.

Its been raining here for about 4 days straight now and a little sun could go a long way. It hasn't been cold but sometimes in the lower 70's which is nice at night and not so nice during the day when you want to leave the house. It's really not that nice when your taking a cold bucket shower. At least I'm not in the eastern part of the country where there has been such heavy rain that most of the Peace Corps volunteers have been evacuated and 10 panamanians have died because of the flooding.

I had to go to Bocas Island the other day to put up notes at all the gringo places saying that we are looking for an old bike. I also needed to print out some things for our chocolate group and work on the logo for the chocolate a little. I also figured out how to send stuff back home and sent 10 lbs of chocolate to the states for Christmas. The chocolate cost me 40 bucks and the shipping cost 45. I'm hoping it goes through customs without being ripped to shreds. It does look like drugs.

I met some girls at the hostel that I go to to use the free internet and they wanted to check out the cacao farm so I set it up. I figured it would be good to get some travelers in and get some feedback as to if a chocolate farm tour would be feasible. I met them the next day and we bought boots and hiked and saw a sloth and tried raw cacao. My host parents made us food and we made chocolate to eat and they ate so much that they got sick. Gringos. They were fine though. They slept on the floor on dirty old mattresses with one giant mosquito net and didn't mind it. They also bought 10 pounds of cacao between them and some of the crafts so it turned out to be pretty good.

It was nice having visitors, but it was also tiring. I don't know how they are going to learn enough English to pull it off. I'm thinking that we will have to make flashcards with questions written on one side and answers written on the back so when a tourist asks a common question they can just read it off. On second thought I would want my money back if someone did that to me. I guess I will have to find someone here that is English teachable.

Speaking of language, my Spanish has been slowly getting better. I have stopped studying completely which doesn't help my cause but plan on picking the books back up. When I visit the island it is mostly English so that doesn't help.

One last note, Christmas is coming up and my host family is going somewhere else. So instead of staring at the rain all day by myself I plan on going to Bocas Island to Skype everyone I know and pretend like I'm back home so get on Skype the night before Christmas.

Tomorrow is a big party for the anniversary of the chocolate group, Sunday I play soccer on the league Monday I should be going to the island to pick up a donated bike, and Tuesday I start building my shower. Shouldn't get too bored between those things....

No comments:

Post a Comment