Thursday, December 30, 2010

Waterfall Slide and Other Updates

The rooster woke me up this morning as it always does and I'm coming to terms with the fact that I'm going to have to deal with it for about 22 months more. Even in my own place I will have to deal with the 4am wake up call of my neighbors rooster. Do roosters sleep? They have to right? I think I'm going to find out when roosters sleep so I can sneak up on them and wake their ass up whenever their 4am might be. Teach him some manners.

It stopped raining this morning after 5 days of constant drizzle, downpour, and drenching. The sun has decided to come out which is nice. Its been unusually cold here and by cold I mean 65- 68 degrees. Enough to make me wear a sweater to sleep one night. Supposedly we can thank a cold tropical storm coming from the Caribbean for that which doesn't make much sense to me but whatever. The people here freak out when its this cold but I'm convinced that there really is nothing else to talk about. It's the first thing I say when I see someone here. Its the only thing I think of saying that is new.

Since my last post a couple notable things have happened. I finally met up with Juan, the crazy older man in the jungle that thinks that a 25k hotel project is a good idea. He is also the guy that showed me his extensive botanical garden with a cure for everything it. During his tour of which he just walked by plants and said “this is medicine”, I asked if he had something for allergies. He gave me a tube of allergy cream from the pharmacy. He also knew where the illusive waterfall in the jungle was so I had to meet up with him. We finally got a sunny say and we hiked through the jungle for an hour and a half while he pointed out things I already knew like what a coconut looked like and then we veered off the already unworn trail. Cutting through jungle and traversing cliffs and water we came to spot where we found a better trail that led right to it.

When we first got to the waterfall I thought to myself that I had seen much better in Chico. There was a really large sized pool that was deeper than you could swim and the waterfall was about 25-30ft tall. He asked me if this was the greatest thing I had ever seen and I nodded yes. We swam for awhile in our tropical paradise when one of the people that had come with us decided to climb up the side of the water fall which had just enough footing to do. That's when what appeared to me he slipped and went directly into the waterfall going all the way down into the water from about 20 feet. He surfaced and I asked if he was alright and he nodded yes.

Come to find out you can actually go to the top of the 30 ft waterfall and ride the entire thing down to the bottom like a slide. Only its pretty much straight down and you are free falling for most of it. After watching him do this I went a couple times and realized this was the greatest discovery I had found here. Juan saw that we were having fun and asked if I thought it was a good idea to build a 200k road to this spot so people could come here. I told him no and he looked off into the distance. I would later find out that there is a water project up stream where the government plans on taking about 70% of the river flow and diverting through tubes to another city. Juan also said that he already knew about this project which is almost done and knew that after it was completed that this place was going to be pretty much dried up. So I guess his plan was to have people drive all that way to see what used to be there. It is sad though.

In other news, I went to Bocas Island for Christmas and it happened to be sunny which was great. Spent most of my time talking with friends and family and going to the beach. Got to have some real food that didn't give me stomach problems and actually filled me up and I even took a hot shower thanks to the nice owners at Lulas B and B. I also talked to a couple from the UK of which came back to my site a couple days later to check out the Cacao farm. This is the second time I've brought travelers to my site from the island and we have gained some useful information from these visits in terms of what people want in a Cacao tour. I took notes on things we can do and after spending all of last night coming up with a rough business plan an pricing structure I think we can be pretty successful. Considering the pretty all of the resources we need are already here (cacao) I don't think we will have to purchase much and for the things that we do need, people have already started to get ready or build. The hardest part will be the logistics of getting people here and back from the island and then figuring out how to proportion the money that does come in. I've worked on the later one to great detail, and still working on transportation.

Health Report:

Allergies are back pretty bad and I'm almost positive that its from the fire/stove here. Our stove consists of two rail road ties put next to each other and the whole thing is inside so the smoke fills the upper room. There are no real closed walls so this would be alright if it wasn't so windy lately. They also burn all the trash including plastic which reeks havoc on my allergies.

Stomach is unsettled. What's new.

Red puffy Allergy thing above my eye went away. Every once in awhile it itches but its pretty much gone.

Foot sometimes still hurts but don't notice too much

Woke up this morning with one of my molars hurting like hell. I'm pretty sure its the one they said I would need a root canal on so I'm going to wait it out a couple weeks to see if the pain goes away like I usually do.

Mosquito bites everywhere, but hey, at least they aren't Bot Flies....

No comments:

Post a Comment