Friday, October 8, 2010

Mustaches and Music

I woke up this morning with my left eye slightly swollen thanks to my allergies and stumbled to my Clairol neon 70's mirror with optional swivel magnifying glass. I was just trying to asses the allergy damage to my face but when I flicked on the side neon lights I startled myself and almost fell over. I had forgotten that the night before I had decided to chop off most of the facial hair I had been cautiously growing for the last 3 weeks. I say most because I happily left a mustache with mini handlebars for all to enjoy. I'm happy with it just as long as I do not have to look in a mirror often. A mistake I will hopefully not make again after this morning.

I like to think that my mustache makes me look like more a man. I definitely feel more manly. I feel like I could spend hours chopping wood today and not break a sweat. I would only break to sharpen my machete with my teeth and when finished I would build a house in the shape of my mustache thanking it for giving me the power to do so. Well, maybe not, but I do feel more manly. I can understand why my dad had rad mustache in the 70's when he was a cop. It was badass. Especially back then. My mustache definitely doesn't stack up to his though and if they had ever had the chance to meet I can almost guarantee mine would retreat back into my face in embarrassment.

On another note, when I walked out into the common area of the house this morning my host mom started talking to me and I could understand everything she was saying. With this boost of confidence to my Spanish skills I decided to make small talk. That's when I realized that my Spanish is still lacking and I should study more before tomorrow's Spanish interview. I need to reach one more level before I'm able to become a real Peace Corps Volunteer in 4 weeks. I'm just a trainee right now and I feel as if the coming week will be one of the hardest. My Spanish needs to improve, we have technical classes all week again and none of them are in air conditioned buildings so its gonna be hot as hell (which I'm getting used to), and I'm going to be thinking about my future site all day during class. Also, I decided to create a song and play it for our swear in ceremony which I had heard another group had done. I found out yesterday that the President of Panama might be at our ceremony which mean that not only can the song not suck, but it needs be semi good if I'm supposed to be representing our whole group of 40 something people. Thank god I will have some backup guitars and singers up there just in case I do falter. Will definitely have to make sure we record this one.

Until next time....

2 comments:

  1. Adam, it took me 2 years to grow a decent moustache so you have some tme, I will tell you that you are a great story teller and could be a writer in my humble opinion.

    We had a great time in Kauai, your father cured his fear of heights by ziplining a 3/4 mile line that went over a 300 foot canyon at 50 MPH, it is the longest zipline in Hawaii. I made it although I think I wet my pants. I also jumped off a 20 foot tower into an ancient pool and used a swing rope to fly into another, not bad for an old man!!! I guess I should mention that Christina apparently had no problem with the zipline as she was laughing and taking pctires whilw I was praying to God that I would not fall. I also got the chance to swim with a large green turtle I found in the ocean, now that was cool!!!

    We will probabl;y come visit you next year, when you get situated and let us know when the best time of year is ETC,, Love Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I think you guys are trying to out do me now. That sounds like fun. I really do like telling stories so maybe you are right. If I get enough people following this blog then I might be able actually write for something one day. You will have to send pics of the zipline. I plan on doing the one here which is the 2nd longest one in Central America. Call soon

    ReplyDelete