Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Doing Work

A pretty big storm passed through just now lingering lightening is still exploding far away. It's dark except for the flashing in the distance and neighbors kids are playing with my iphone. All three of them. Touching at the same time. I have to hand it to them. For not ever seeing or using anything like an iphone they are learning to navigate it pretty fast.

It's been a long day. Mostly because I've been traveling for a good part of the day and I've been traveling tired. Traveling tired is way more tiring than just plain old traveling. When you've got no where to rest your head and your tired it makes you more tired and more tired of traveling and you just want to be home. This was most of my feeling today and has been for the last couple days. Even though I haven't been traveling for three days I have been tired. Extremely tired.

I actually can't figure it out really. Why I'm so tired that is. I went to the lab and took pretty much every test they offered and apparently I've got a clean bill of health. So I called the Peace Corps doctor to see what his thoughts were on all my tests and me being sleepy all the time with bad stomach problems. He said I had indigestion. That wasn't really what I was looking for but I got some tums just in case. I tried to fall asleep on the way back but couldn't as I was on an isle seat on the way back and just hanging on around the corners is enough to keep you up. I personally think that the extreme heat and humidity is slowly eating my soul here but I guess we will find out if that is true in a year from now.

Live update: I just went over to my neighbors house where they are watching Miss Universe on a small black and white TV. There is about 10 people watching it and they look pretty confused. Once I got to see what Miss Panama looked like I came back.

Tours have been slow lately and there just hasn't been too many people on the island. This whole month has been pretty low which apparently was expected. It is kind of weird to me that more tourists don't come around this time as things are less expensive, there is more sun, and there is less people. I've tried to explain the importance of keeping up with advertising and keeping our contacts current but I'm not sure that this concept has sunk in. I know that we have permission from another one of the big hostels to put a big sign up and I know that Salomon knows about the opportunity. I just can't figure out why they are moving on it. For me to take charge and get it done would be the wrong thing to do for sure as they absolutely need to learn the importance of marketing and reaching out to customers. My next option will be to reach out to Samuel who is the tour guide. I think that if I can get him out on the island we can get some real work done in one day. Its also affecting his pocket book so I know he has got to have some interest. The hard part is getting the artisan group to pay for it.

There is tones of other crap I would love to talk about but I will save it. One being how me and a couple guys from here went to this swimming spot where we tied a rope across a small canyon, climbed to the middle, dangled, and then jumped into the water below. I'm just not going to talk about that right now. There just isn't enough time. One last thought: Every time I have to go to the doctor now I keep thinking about me having to live on the island and how I would cope with that. My service would be completely different and I've come to the conclusion that I don't like it.

Next week. My new obsession with dominoes......  

1 comment:

  1. Try some more protein, glad who got a clean bill of health, the heat and humidity would exhaust me in a couple of minutes. I like the rope idea!!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete